Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Pick of the Week 9/14



My pick of the week this week is "Google Street View" of Google Maps for helping me to better plan my upcoming trip home!

My trip home will include our first ever stop to the Grand Canyon. We're not going to make a major hiking event out of it, just cruise along the street, stop a few times and look, take some photos, and we're on our way again.


Google maps says it's about a 2 hour trip, so I figured 3 hours.

But a little voice said "well, let's check out what this drive looks like.. So I moved it to street view.

The drive on "Desert View Dr" is a lot of this:


It's not ugly, but it's not terribly scenic either. I don't know why, but I'd imagined this entire drive would have views of the grand canyon, with a few stops to actually get out of the car for a longer look. I didn't realize *duah* there would be lots (or mostly) trees obstructing my view of the canyon. 

So instead of planning a 2-3 hour trip, I know now that in reality this is maybe an hour and a half at most. How many times can you stop at the canyon stops before you've decided you've seen it? I think twice would be more than enough for me.

So Hurray to Google Map Street View for making my trip less of a let down and helping me better anticipate what lies ahead!

How did we ever survive without modern technology and google maps?

No comments:

Post a Comment