Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Current Distraction: Gibson


You have to admit, there is something pretty irresistible about Mr. Gibson in Maverick.

Husband & I curled up on the couch this weekend to watch it again, as neither of us have seen it in quite some time. It's nice when you watch movies you haven't seen in forever and discover you still like them. My husband experiences that with most of his childhood flicks. I do not. 

Netflix suggested we watch Braveheart next, which my husband passed on.


 I haven't seen it probably since  a year after it first came to video, so maybe age 12? As the credits rolled I really had to wonder what the big deal was. I feel like I'm letting people down somehow by saying this, but this is not a movie I continue to enjoy in adulthood. Perhaps it's because I know so much of English and Scottish history that I could pull some of the inaccuracies out of it. Maybe because I know his efforts, in the end, were in vein- the clans were outlawed by the late 1600's and the rule of William the Orange. (Thank you Susanna Kearsley for the interesting history lessons in your wonderful books!)

The important thing is that it's keeping me from boredom.

Boredom = idle time.

Idle time = thinking about home

Thinking about home = planning and plotting home departure

Plotting & Planning = I WANT GO GO NOW!!

Dangerous cycle. I went through a very similar problem as the days grew closer for husband's return 2 years ago from his year-long deployment. What I found has always worked is not allowing myself to get into that cycle by doing everything I can to keep distracted. For now, Gibson movies seem to be the key.

I think tonight I'm going to start The Patriot. That's a hard movie for me with the death of Heath Ledger. Words cannot describe my admiration for this actor. He was truly undervalued in his time. The movie The Four Feathers proves that. Just an epic movie. Of course I thought he was wonderful equally in The Patriot. But watching him die in the movie & knowing he's also dead in real life bothers me somehow. It's not like he was even shot down in real life. All I can say is I'm a girl and I'm allowed to not make sense about stuff.

While I haven't seen it in a while, I know I'll still enjoy this movie. First, I enjoy history I can relate to much more. Second, this scene:


Oh, it gets me every time! 'Papa, tell me anything you want, I'll say anything, but please don't go'  (or something... yeah, I've watched this movie a lot so this is a quote from memory). How many children felt this way, never having been given an education that could really allow them to grasp what war is? Oh, it just breaks my heart.

And in typical ADD Nature: The girl who played this adorable little blonde child of The Patriot also starred in a kick ass favorite episode of House- Insensitive. She's Mika Boorem, and I'd really like to see her do some more serious, interesting roles like that. Not a fan of the flicks she picks to act in sadly.

Thank you, Netflix, TV, electricity, and all other things for keeping me distracted & sane while we count down.

64 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment