Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ah, rudeness...


Coinciding with the drivers of San Diego, I feel there is a strong sense of absolute rudeness associated with the individuals out here, and the deepest heart of it stems from "I've got to go!" It's rather ironic, since people tell me San Diego is a laid back community. Truly, I have never felt or witnessed that. What are you comparing San Diego to, and what does that make my small little country town if San Diego is laid back? Are country towns going in reverse? (Ok, maybe some of them are...)

Everyone has their rude moments I suppose. Moments in time where you are just too overwhelmed with life to take the necessary steps to remain polite and courteous to others. I have felt that way, and while I strive not to be I am sure I have even acted that way from time to time. But when I see it time and again in my colleagues it upsets me. I know they are better people than what they are showing at the moment. 

I have the misfortune of having my office right next to our time punch. When people are done for the day, they are literally done- done with work, and done with being civil to others around them.

"Will you hurry up?" - this may be stated with some slight sarcasm, meant to be play. No, I'm sorry, no amount of teasing can make this statement polite to the person hearing it. Yes, I realize you have to go, but you will have to wait your blasted turn and get over the fact that I did not check your schedule and arrived here before you. 

"I need to pick up my kids; I don't have time for this!" Are your kids going to be evicted onto the streets because you're two minutes late? Have they never waited in their life, and suddenly doing so now will cause them to perish? Well, you're probably raising them to have the same level of patience as you, maybe something will happen if they wait, such as a temper tantrum similar to what you're throwing now.

"I realize you're busy, but I need to punch out right this second!" - And it's my fault that you planned this so poorly? 

These statements have never been said to me directly, they're all things I hear my colleagues say to other colleagues on a daily basis. I want to walk over to them, smack their butt, and tell them "Stop it. Stop it now. Time out! Go to your corner! That you're going to be late is exactly the point! You need to learn that being late does not make your world end, and is NO reason for you to treat another human being this way!" 

What is the point? Is saying such a statement going to make the person empathize with them? Hell No! You treat me like a piece of shit in your way, I'm going to do what I can to prove to you that you're right just to tick you off more. 

Now, do it with polite kindness and I'll realize 'oh goodness, I'm in your way', feel sympathy for your situation, and do what I can to help speed things up for you. 

But that, my friends, doesn't seem to be a working concept in these parts. I miss the 'backward' country life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no. I do that too! I thought I was being playful with other people but I guess not. Thanks for pointing this out to me so that I can stop something that I thought was playful but really is rude. However the mere fact that we have to punch in and out is really aggravating to me! I know it is not something I can control therefore I should let it go, and for the most part these days I am doing that, but it really is an insult to me that I have to account for every second of my time. As for driving. Yes you are right, rude, annoying people are on the road. I think this is stemming from the fact that San Diego has grown so much in recent years and therefore the traffic is worse. I remember a few years ago when the commutes were really easy - not so anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose some can be said on who you are stating it to. If you were to say that to me, I would tell you to bugger off with out slight of offence. It was not you but others I have heard and the individuals they were speaking to I am certain are not their friends.

      Delete